domingo, 31 de agosto de 2014

Fun new tools

In class, we were presented digital resources like WordCloud and Voki to make English lessons funnier.

For what I have searched, Voki is a character that can be customized according to the students´ preferences. As the website provides the information (you can have access by clicking the previous link) in a clear and easy way, it is really simple to create your own Voki.  They can be used to engage students´ attention and to make English lessons not that monotonous by making students participate more actively. It is not only useful for students but for teachers as well. Teachers have a whole section called "Voki classroom" (unfortunately you have to pay for it), where they can check their students´ improvement and homework, a kind of Edmodo Platform. But if you cannot pay for it, you can create Vokis anyway and share in different websites such as Facebook, Blogger, Google, etc.

I also wanted to go through the experience of having my own Voki so I couldn´t resist and I created a new one.

Try to create one!!


Wordcloud, on the other hand, is not a character but a tipography tool instead. You can create one by counting words in some text. This could be a Microsoft document, a pdf one or you can introduce the words by tiping or pasting a text. It is a really interesting way to grab students´attention by using something new to teach vocabulary, for instance, and not the typical pictures posted on the wall. The one I chose is free and easy to use.








Source:
Voki
WordCloud

2 comentarios:

  1. Hi, Meli. I also like Voki a lot, it is very useful and funny. I recomend you that you embed your voki within your blog (or any page). In order to do this, after you create you voki, you have to click on "publish" and the copy the link and paste it in your page, but with the option HTML, then go back to "compose" and your voki will appear directly on your web page. I think that it is more useful for your readers to have it right there.

    ResponderEliminar
  2. Thanks for your comment and advice Cande!I tried to embed my Voki, but I couldn´t and now I´m trying to do that again. Let´s see if I can do it!!
    I also think it is more useful for readers to have the voki on the blog since they can see there what it is about and they don´t have to be redirected to another website where they can get lost if they are not familiarised with the working of this tool.

    ResponderEliminar